What Is Lead Generation?
To truly understand the concept of lead generation, let’s take a step back to highlight the value of a lead.
A lead is simply someone who expressed interest in your products or services. To acquire leads, you need a conversion path, which often consists of relevant content, high-value content offers (also referred to as lead magnets), forms, calls-to-action, and landing pages.
Lead generation plays a vital role in the inbound methodology, which is a process that breaks into four stages.
You attract your target audience with high-value content that you create and promote. These “strangers” find you through various channels, like your social media posts or by finding your helpful content via search engines, and they become visitors when they land on your website.
On your site, you can entice them to download gated content, like ebooks, or sign up for impactful events, such as webinars. When your visitors want access to these content offers, they will fill out a form, providing you with their contact information.
This is when you convert anonymous visitors to leads. Their contact information is stored in your customer relationship management (CRM) system, where you can then score them for your sales team to prioritize and customize their outreach. Your outreach can include targeted lead nurturing campaigns, workflows, and more.
As you can see, lead generation is the foundation for how you generate revenue. And there are many excellent approaches your company can take.
Lead Generation Marketing Strategies
Your company can attract visitors and convert them through many different tactics. When you’re building a lead generation strategy, make sure you diversify your efforts and use a few techniques.
Some of the most impactful lead generation strategies include:
- Blogging on a consistent basis, using SEO best practices
- Developing high-value content offers and building conversion paths
- Using marketing software to personalize messaging
- Optimizing landing pages to boost conversion rates
- Building engaging email marketing campaigns
- Implementing a referral program
- Conducting event marketing strategies, like hosting seminars or conferences
- Adding conversational marketing channels on your site, like live chat and chatbots
- Connecting with influencers to build a social following